- 1 cup coarsely chopped drained jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- One 28-ounce can no-salt-added whole plum tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- One 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 small bunch kale, stems discarded, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 9 sheets no-boil lasagna noodles, such as Barilla
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Puree the peppers, oregano, tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the sugar in a food processor or blender until smooth and set aside. Mix 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese with the egg whites and ricotta cheese in a medium bowl.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they have released their liquid and are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the kale, in batches, and as it wilts add the pepper flakes, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt and continue to cook until the kale is wilted and bright green, an additional 5 minutes.
Mist a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the dish. Top with 3 noodles, 1/2 of the ricotta mixture and 1/2 of the mushroom mixture. Repeat layers with sauce, noodles and remaining ricotta and mushrooms. Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the noodles are tender and the sauce is bubbling around the edges of the pan, about 50 minutes.
Uncover, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup grated mozzarella and continue to bake until melted, about 5 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Fat: 11 grams
Saturated Fat: 4 grams
Protein: 19 grams
Carbohydrates: 30 grams
Sugar: 5 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Cholesterol: 35 milligrams
Sodium: 540 milligrams