Herbal Chicken Sandwiches with Apple-Avocado Smoothie
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
The herbal tea flavor of this delicious sandwich pairs perfectly with the creamy avocado smoothie.
- Chicken Sandwiches:
- 4 jasmine green tea bags
- Kosher salt
- Two 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bite-size cubes
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 cups plus 3 tablespoons fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sliced natural almonds
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 cup packed mixed baby salad greens
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- Apple-Avocado Smoothies:
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 6 sprigs fresh basil or mint leaves
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored, skin on and chopped
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted
Remove the tea bags and bring back to a rolling boil. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and the chicken. Cover, reduce the heat to low and poach until fully cooked, about 7 minutes. Drain and transfer the chicken to a small bowl to cool to room temperature.
Stir together the onions, 3 tablespoons of the yogurt, the mayonnaise, basil, tarragon, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Stir in the cooled chicken, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to combine. (Can be made and refrigerated a day ahead.)
Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
Divide the chicken among four of the bread slices. Top each with the toasted almonds, salad greens and the remaining bread slices. Cut in half.
For the smoothies: Combine the apple juice, 1 cup ice, lime juice, basil, apples and avocado together in a blender, and pulse until the ice is incorporated. Then puree until smooth. Divide evenly among four glasses.
Serve each sandwich with a smoothie and 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt topped with 1 tablespoon of raspberry jam.
Per serving: Calories 580; Fat 19 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 60 mg; Sodium 730 mg; Carbohydrate 66 g; Protein 38 g; Fiber 9 g; Sugars 37 g
From Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray