- 4 Russet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into a 3/4-inch dice
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons bacon fat
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, like soy, peanut, or corn
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water by about 2 inches. Season with salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat and 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Wipe out the skillet and return to medium-high heat. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons bacon fat and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper to taste, and arrange in a single layer. Cook, without stirring, until well browned on one side, about 8 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the potatoes in small sections, and continue cooking, turning occasionally, until well-browned, about 12 minutes. Stir in the onions, heat through, and sprinkle with the cayenne, if desired. Transfer to warm platter and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.