Hot German Potato Salad
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 10 min
- 25 min
- 45 min
- 2 pounds white-skinned waxy potatoes, scrubbed (about 5 large)
- Kosher salt
- 6 slices bacon (about 4 ounces)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup fruity white wine (recommended: Riesling)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Put the potatoes in a large saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons salt and enough cold water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.
2. When the potatoes are almost done, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, 4 minutes. Drain the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. Lower the heat to medium. Add the onion and 2 teaspoons salt and cook, until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the broth, wine, vinegar, mustard, and sugar and boil until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
3. Crumble the bacon into a serving bowl. Using a paring knife, peel the skins off the warm potatoes and cut them into bite-size chunks. Add the potatoes to the bowl along with the hot vinegar dressing and parsley. Toss gently and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve the potato salad immediately or while still warm.
Total Fat: 7 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 29 grams
Protein: 10 grams
Sodium: 833 milligrams
Cholesterol: 24 milligrams
Fiber: 3 grams
Cook's Note: This salad is best served immediately or while still quite warm. The key is that the dressing and the potatoes need to be warm when the salad is assembled. It suffers when reheated. If you are juggling a couple of dishes, cook the potatoes and keep them in their skins. Make the dressing but don't assemble the salad. Just before serving, heat the potatoes in the microwave, peel them, and toss with the dressing.
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved