Inside-Out Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 3 tablespoons fig jam
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 6 -ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 8 thin slices black forest ham
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 cups baby greens
Mix the jam, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Lay out a long piece of plastic wrap on a cutting board. Place the chicken on the plastic and brush half of the jam mixture evenly on top of each breast. Mound a quarter of the cheese on each piece of chicken, then wrap 2 slices of ham around each breast to cover the cheese. Place another piece of plastic over the chicken and gently pound with a mallet or heavy skillet until about 1/4 inch thick.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side until cooked through but still moist, 3 to 4 more minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk the shallot, mustard, vinegar and the remaining jam mixture in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil to make a smooth dressing.
Per serving: Calories 500; Fat 26 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 124 mg;
Sodium 486 mg; Carbohydrate 22 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 46 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.