We like to replace mayonnaise with heart-healthy olive oil in our tuna salad.
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) can solid white albacore tuna in water, drained
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted nicoise olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Suggested serving: whole grain breads or bountiful greens
Cover the sun-dried tomatoes with hot water in a bowl. Set aside until soft, about 20 minutes, then drain, chop, and put in a medium bowl. To mellow the minced onion, soak it in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain it well, pat dry and add to the tomatoes.
Add the tuna, breaking it into large chunks, along with the celery, olives, and capers, and toss to combine. Add the olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and basil and toss again. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve cold, with bread or greens, if desired.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.