Jerk Turkey Burgers with Mango Slaw
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 small green apple, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup mango chutney, roughly chopped
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 carrot, shredded
- Canola oil, for the grill
- 4 hamburger buns or challah rolls, split
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Mix the turkey, jerk seasoning, apple, 1/4 cup scallions and the panko in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Form into four 1-inch-thick patties and make a small indentation in the middle of each with your thumb to prevent it from puffing up on the grill. Refrigerate.
Whisk the mayonnaise and chutney in a large bowl. Add the cabbage, carrot and the remaining 1/4 cup scallions, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
Brush the grill with canola oil. Grill the turkey patties until browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Brush the cut sides of the buns with mayonnaise and sprinkle with jerk seasoning; toast on the grill, about 30 seconds. Serve the burgers and slaw on the buns.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray