Antioxidant-rich kale is even better for you when eaten raw. Thin strips are softened in a light lemon dressing, then tossed with the savory-sweet blend of apple, dates, almonds and cheese. A little pecorino goes a long way in giving this nutritious salad a satisfying depth of flavor.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, leaves very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dates
- 1 Honeycrisp apple
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 ounce pecorino, finely grated (1/4 cup)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the kale, toss to coat and let stand 10 minutes.
While the kale stands, cut the dates into thin slivers and the apple into thin matchsticks. Add the dates, apples, almonds and cheese to the kale. Season with salt and pepper and toss well.