Kansas City BBQ'd Chicken
- 3 1/2 pounds mixed chicken parts (breasts halved)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Kansas City-Style BBQ Sauce, recipe follows
- Kansas City-Style BBQ Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons neutral-tasting oil, such as grapeseed or vegetable
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 slightly heaping tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch ground cloves
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons English-style dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
1. Preheat a grill with high, medium high, and medium zones. Lightly oil grates.
2. Season chicken with salt and black pepper, to taste and place it skin-side down on grate on high heat. Cook until skin is crisp, turning once, about 5 minutes. Dip each piece of chicken in sauce, shake off excess, and return to grill-dark meat pieces over medium high and white meat over medium heat. Cook, covered, basting once more, until glazed and an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of each piece of chicken registers 170degreesF, about 25 to 30 minutes.
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, allspice, and cloves and cook, stirring, until paste is dark brick red, about 3 minutes. Add the ketchup, water, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, salt, soy sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, black pepper, and bay leaf.
2. Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the flavors come together, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf before using.
Makes about 1 quart
Total Fat: 26 grams
Saturated Fat: 7 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 12 grams
Protein: 56 grams
Sodium: 830 milligrams
Cholesterol: 170 milligrams
Fiber: 0 grams
More Recipes and Ideas:
Kansas City-style Baby Back Ribs with Onion Rings and Boiled Corn, Fruity Chicken Wings, Red Chile Chicken Wings with Chipotle Honey Glaze, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Jerk Chicken Recipes, Baked Chicken Recipes, Chicken Salad Recipes, Chicken Alfredo Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.