Kung Pao Snow Peas
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Stir-frying retains the sweetness and crunch of these low-calorie snow peas. A blend of soy sauce, ginger, chiles and sesame oil, store[-bought kung pao sauce adds heat and flavor to this dish without adding a lot of fat.]
- 1 tablespoon peanut or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Maui, thickly sliced
- 8 ounces snow peas, ends trimmed (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup bottled all-natural kung pao, shiitake soy ginger or other low-sodium stir-fry sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted roasted peanuts or cashews
Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat and add the oil. Add the onions and stir-fry until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Add the snow peas and stir-fry until nearly crisp-tender, about 2 minutes more. Add the sauce and stir-fry to coat, about 1 minute.
Transfer to a platter or large bowl, sprinkle with the nuts and serve.
Cook's Notes: Using an all-natural bottled sauce bursting with flavor makes this side so easy--and so pleasing. Select a sauce that has less than 400 mg sodium per serving.
From Food Network Kitchens