Buying pre-sliced fresh mushrooms instead of canned saves time-making this a super-quick fix for low calories and full flavor. Serve these mushrooms on their own as a side or on top of chicken, pork or fish.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1/2 tablespoon each unsalted butter and extra-virgin olive oil
- 20 ounces sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced or snipped fresh chives
Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms in an even layer and sprinkle with the lemon zest. Cook, undisturbed, until browned, about 2 minutes. Toss with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper and continue to cook until the mushrooms are tender but not mushy, 4 to 5 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the chives. Serve warm.
Per serving: Calories: 58 ;Total Fat: 3 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 4 grams; Total carbohydrates: 5 grams; Sugar: 3 grams; Fiber: 1.5 grams; Cholesterol: 8 milligrams; Sodium: 128 milligrams