- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced ham (about 4 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, diced (3 to 4 medium potatoes)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dried yellow or red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas (thawed if frozen)
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ham, onion and 2 tablespoons dill; cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, potatoes, 1/2 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups water and the lentils; cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook until the potatoes are tender and the lentils begin to fall apart, 12 to 15 more minutes. Stir in the peas, yogurt and the remaining 1 tablespoon dill. Ladle the soup into bowls.
Per serving: Calories 428; Fat 7 g (Saturated 1 g); Cholesterol 36 mg; Sodium 649 mg; Carbohydrate 62 g; Fiber 12 g; Protein 28 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos