Mac and Cheese with Chicken, Tomato and Basil
- Total Time:
- 1 hr
- 30 min
- 30 min
- 12 ounces dry elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups grated Asiago cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped and drained
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, torn into large pieces
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a large baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, until blended and pale yellow. Whisk in the milk, then season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened and smooth. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the Asiago and 1 cup Parmesan.
3. Combine the macaroni, sauce, tomatoes, and basil in a large bowl. Add the chicken and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the baking dish.
4. Mix the panko with the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Sprinkle over the macaroni and bake until heated through and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Total Fat: 50 grams
Saturated Fat: 24 grams
Total Carbohydrates: 73 grams
Protein: 47 grams
Sodium: 990 milligrams
Cholesterol: 125 milligrams
Fiber: 4 grams
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen