- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound mini penne or pennette
- 1 1/2 pounds coarsely grated havarti, gouda, and fontina cheeses, at room temperature (about 6 cups)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces baguette, torn into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the penne and cook, until just al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add the havarti, gouda, and fontina cheeses and 1 tablespoon butter to the hot pasta and stir gently until cheeses begin to melt.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, evaporated milk, paprika, half the garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Stir the egg mixture into the macaroni pasta. Transfer to the prepared baking dish; bake covered for 10 minutes.