- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/4 pounds coarsely ground pork
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 pound manchego cheese, broken into bite-size pieces
- 4 Portuguese rolls, split
- Pimientos, tomato, red onion and/or lettuce, for topping
Preheat a grill to medium-high. Place the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, the olives, garlic, oregano, chili powder, paprika, coriander, cumin and allspice in a food processor; pulse until smooth. Scrape the mixture into a large bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons mayonnaise.
Mix the pork into the olive mixture; season with salt and pepper. Shape into 4 patties, about 1/2 inch thick. Make a deep pocket in each; stuff with some manchego, then close the patty around the cheese.
Brush the burgers with oil; season with salt and pepper. Brush the grill with oil; grill the burgers until marked on the bottom, 5 minutes. Flip and continue grilling until just cooked through, 5 more minutes.
Brush the cut sides of the rolls with the remaining 1 tablespoon mayonnaise; grill until lightly toasted. Serve the burgers on the rolls with your choice of toppings.
Per serving: Calories 751; Fat 51 g (Saturated 18 g); Cholesterol 117 mg; Sodium 1,024 mg; Carbohydrate 33 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 39 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos