- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups rice blend
- 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup chopped mango
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 red jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped salted roasted peanuts
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring until tender, 25 to 35 minutes (depending on the rice blend).
Meanwhile, bring a separate saucepan of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the quinoa and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.
Drain the grains and rinse under cold water until cool; shake off the excess water.
Whisk the lime juice and zest, the peanut oil, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add the rice mixture, mango, cucumber, jalapeno, scallions, cilantro and peanuts and stir to combine. Season with salt.
Total Fat: 10 grams
Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams
Protein: 8 grams
Total carbohydrates: 48 grams
Sugar: 6 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Sodium: 147 milligrams
Photograph by Con Poulos