- For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup canola oil, plus more for the pan
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups semolina flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
- Confectioners' sugar and/or chopped almonds, for topping
- For the Syrup:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 orange
Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Brush an 8-inch square baking pan with canola oil. Beat the egg whites and granulated sugar with a mixer until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk both flours, the almonds and baking powder in a bowl. Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl. Whisk 1/2 cup oil, the orange and lemon juices and the marmalade into the yolks until combined. Stir in the dry ingredients, then fold in the beaten egg whites until just combined. Add the raisins, if desired.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake until the cake is golden and springs back when touched, about 30 minutes.
Pour the syrup over the cake while both are still warm. Cool completely, then cover with plastic wrap and let soak overnight. Cut into squares and top with confectioners' sugar and/or almonds.
Photograph by Roland Bello
Thank you! your flag was submitted.