- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 2 pounds), scrubbed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg, optional
1. In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat to maintain a simmer and cook until fork tender, about 45 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to pan. Shake pan over medium heat to dry potatoes, about 1 minute.
2. Halve potatoes crosswise. Working in batches, press through a ricer, cut side down, into a bowl. Discard skins, and repeat with remaining potatoes. Immediately stir butter into warm potatoes. (Alternatively, peel and mash potatoes)
3. Heat milk in saucepan over medium-high heat until hot but not boiling; stir into potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and nutmeg, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Info (per serving):
Total Fat: 9 grams
Saturated Fat: 5.5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 29 grams
Protein: 4 grams
Sodium: 181 milligrams
Cholesterol: 23 milligrams
Fiber: 2 grams