- 2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium canned, or homemade
- 1 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the barley, oil, and salt. Bring back to a boil, adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes more. Drain excess liquid, if needed. Cool.
Meanwhile, whisk the lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large serving bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream, to make a smooth dressing. Add the barley and the remaining salad ingredients and toss to coat with the dressing. Serve.
Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.