- 2 ounces dried chorizo, diced (about 1 small link)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 6 large eggs plus 2 egg whites
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup crushed baked tortilla chips (preferably low sodium)
- 3/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
Cook the chorizo in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until it just begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and jalapeno and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to sizzle, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and half of the scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 4 minutes.
Whisk the whole eggs and egg whites with 1/4 cup water and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a bowl; add to the skillet and cook, stirring with a rubber spatula, until just beginning to set, about 2 minutes. Add the chips, cheese, half of the cilantro, and the remaining scallions and continue cooking, stirring, until the eggs are just set, about 3 more minutes.
Divide the eggs among plates and top with the avocado, sour cream and remaining cilantro.
Per Serving: Calories: 406; Total Fat: 20 grams; Saturated Fat: 7 grams; Protein: 29 grams; Total carbohydrates: 30 grams; Sugar: grams; Fiber: 9 grams; Cholesterol: 349 milligrams; Sodium: 426 milligrams
Photograph by Christopher Testani