Mexican Layered Bean Casserole
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Beans are high in fiber and protein-and delicious layered with melted cheese. Cooked in the microwave in just 10 minutes, this is a quick[, easy dish that everyone will love.]
- 2 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces), thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Kosher salt
- One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup prepared pico de gallo or home-style fresh salsa
- 1 tablespoon fresh whole oregano leaves
- Six 6-inch corn tortillas, halved
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Chihuahua cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
Arrange the following in layers in a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan or 10-inch round microwave-safe dish: 4 of the tortilla halves, one-third of the bean mixture, one-third of the zucchini and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Repeat twice, while packing down the layers. Sprinkle with additional salt and the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Microwave on high until the zucchini is fully cooked, about 10 minutes. Remove from the microwave and loosely cover with foil to finish the cooking process, about 5 minutes. (Alternatively, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and cook until heated through and the cheese is melted, 15 to 20 minutes.)
Sprinkle with the cilantro, slice into 4 wedges and serve.
From Food Network Kitchens