- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley and/or mint
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 small Persian cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 4 pocketless pitas
Combine the steak, onion, pumpkin pie spice, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 minced garlic clove, 2 tablespoons chopped herbs, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a bowl; toss well to coat. Set aside while you prepare the salad.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Brush the pitas with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil; cook until lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to plates. Working in batches, add the meat and onion to the skillet in a single layer and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
Serve the steak and onion on the pitas with the cucumber salad. Top with the remaining herbs.
Per serving: Calories 632; Fat 30 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 54 mg; Sodium 869 mg; Carbohydrate 49 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 41 g
Photograph by Johnny Miller