- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 medium Spanish onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1/4 head Savoy cabbage, cored and shredded
- 7 drained and roughly chopped canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 9 cups low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1/3 cup tubetti or other small pasta such as orzo, or broken spaghetti
- One 16-ounce can cannellini beans, with liquid
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until slightly crisp and the fat has rendered, about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, carrots, celery and onions. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 12 minutes. Add the zucchini, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 3 minutes more. Stir in the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the pasta; lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the pasta is tender, about 8 minutes.
Mash half the beans in a small bowl with a fork. Add the mashed and whole beans to the soup and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the herbs and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among warm soup bowls and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Serve immediately with more cheese at the table.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.