- 1/2 cup (3 1/4 ounces) whole grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces, 3 cups
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered, 2 cups
- 2 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the rice and barley and cook until al dente, 15 minutes. Drain well.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, pepper flakes (if using) and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onion is tender and beginning to brown, 5 minutes. Stir in the drained rice mixture. Add 2 cups broth, cover and cook until the rice and barley are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Stir in the asparagus and mushrooms and continue to cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup broth, cream cheese and Parmesan until melted and creamy. Sprinkle with chives and zest.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Nutritional analysis per serving (optional crushed red pepper flakes not included in analysis)
Calories 312; Total Fat 8.8g (Sat Fat 1.2g, Mono Fat 3.3g, Poly Fat 1g) ; Protein 13g; Carb 49g; Fiber 8g; Cholesterol 1mg; Sodium 194mg
Thank you! your flag was submitted.