- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 bocconcini (small mozzarella balls), about 8 ounces
- 1 pint mixed red and yellow cherry or pear tomatoes
- 12 basil leaves, preferably large
- 12 (6-inch) wooden skewers
Combine the garlic, salt, pepper flakes, and olive oil in a medium glass bowl. Cover and microwave on high until the garlic is golden, about 2 minutes. Cool. Add the bocconcini and refrigerate for at least 1 and up to 24 hours.
Thread a yellow cherry tomato onto a skewer, wrap a bocconcini in a basil leaf and add to the skewer, then finish with a red tomato. For a dramatic presentation, use both pear and cherry tomatoes. Halve the top cherry tomato and use it as a stand for the skewer.
Repeat with the remaining cheese and tomatoes. Save the oil for a dipping sauce and serve with a small bowl of kosher salt.
Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.