- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 10 ounces cremini or white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium carrots, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1/3 cup sour cream or creme fraeche
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the caraway seeds and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to wilt, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Add the carrots and broth, cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook until the carrots are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, combine the onion, vinegar and a pinch of salt in a bowl and let marinate while the soup simmers. Toast the bread.
Divide the soup among bowls and top with sour cream and the marinated onion. Serve with the toast.
Per serving: Calories 252; Fat 11 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 28 mg; Sodium 510 mg; Carbohydrate 28 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 11 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos