- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 1/4 pounds cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons madeira wine or brandy
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3/4 cup hummus
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- Greek yogurt, for topping
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the madeira wine and cook 2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Add the broth and thyme; simmer gently, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
Discard the thyme sprigs. Stir the hummus into the soup. Transfer half of the soup to a blender and puree (remove the filler cap to let steam escape), then return to the saucepan and simmer 15 more minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Mix the lemon zest, parsley and scallions in a small bowl. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the yogurt and lemon-parsley mixture.
Photograph by Kana Okada