- 2 tablespoons dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1/2 celery stalk, diced
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes with juice (about one 28-ounce can)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, such as cremini, shittake, button, and portobello, trimmed and cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Serving suggestion: pasta like penne or fusilli, polenta, or with toasted bread
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
In a small bowl, soak the dried mushrooms in 1/4 cup of hot water for 30 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the soaking liquid and coarsely chop. Strain and reserve the liquid.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, and shallots, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, porcini, rosemary, and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and the reserved mushroom liquid and simmer until the liquid is reduced by about half. Add the tomatoes and a 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and butter over high heat. When the foam begins to subside, add the mushrooms. Lower the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and season with pepper to taste. Add the mushrooms to the tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve as is, or with pasta, polenta, or toasted bread.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Sherried Mushroom Empanadas, Wild Mushroom Turnovers with Romano Cheese, Wild Mushroom Soup with Arugula and Walnuts and Parmesan-Crusted Rolls with Herb Butter, Leg of Lamb Recipes, Carrot Salad Recipes, Alfredo, Antipasti Recipes, Pork Tenderloin Recipes, Pork Shoulder Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.