- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 9-ounce bag tortilla chips (about 7 cups), finely crushed
- 4 large eggs
- 12 medium chicken drumsticks (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar, jack or muenster cheese
- Fresh salsa, guacamole and sliced pickled jalapenos, for topping
Put the flour in a large bowl. Put the crushed chips in another large bowl and whisk the eggs in a third bowl. Toss the drumsticks in the flour. One at a time, dip each drumstick in the beaten egg and dredge in the crushed chips, turning to coat. Place on a baking sheet until ready to fry.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Fill a large pot with 3 inches of vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Working in batches, fry the drumsticks until golden and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. (Let the oil return to 350 degrees F between batches.)
Arrange the drumsticks on a large ovenproof platter and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, about 4 minutes. Top with salsa, guacamole and pickled jalapenos.
Photograph by Johnny Miller