- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple jelly or peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or scallions
- 3/4 pound leftover roast ham, cut into chunks (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup diced celery, plus 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 8 slices raisin-nut bread, lightly toasted
- 8 to 12 slices havarti cheese (preferably caraway-flavored)
- 8 Boston lettuce leaves
Mix the mayonnaise, apple jelly and chives in a large bowl until smooth. Pulse the ham in a food processor until finely chopped but not mushy. Toss the chopped ham, celery, celery leaves and pecans with the mayonnaise mixture until combined.
Lay 4 slices bread on a clean surface. Layer 2 to 3 slices havarti on each, then top with a scoop of ham salad and 2 lettuce leaves. Close with the remaining 4 slices bread. Cut each sandwich in half.
Photograph by Lisa Shin