- 1 pound large blue or purple potatoes
- 3/4 pound large red-skinned potatoes
- 3/4 pound large Yukon gold potatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped
- 1/2 cup celery leaves, coarsely chopped, plus 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and put a baking sheet on the rack. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F for at least 10 minutes. Halve the potatoes lengthwise and toss them with the olive oil in a large bowl. Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven. Using tongs, arrange the potatoes cut-side down on the hot baking sheet. Sprinkle with the thyme, celery leaves, bell pepper strips, half of the lemon juice and 2 teaspoons salt. Roast until the potatoes are tender and golden, 25 to 35 minutes.
Use a spatula to carefully transfer the potatoes to a cutting board. Cut each potato into 2 or 3 pieces. Arrange the potatoes by color on a platter and top with the red peppers and the celery-scallion mixture. Serve with the spicy mayonnaise.
Photograph by Sam Kaplan