- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 baguette, halved lengthwise
- 1 large clove garlic, halved
- 1 medium tomato, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
Preheat a grill to medium high. Combine the olive oil, oregano, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Brush the cut sides of the baguette with some of the flavored oil. Grill cut-side down until toasted, about 4 minutes.
Rub the grilled sides of the baguette with the garlic. Top with the tomato slices, season with salt and cover with the provolone. Grill, covered, until the cheese melts, 3 to 5 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining flavored oil and season with salt. Cut into pieces.
Photograph by Con Poulos