- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 12-ounce can (11/2 cups) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 large eggs plus 6 egg yolks
- 12 cups day-old challah bread cubes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Fold the chocolate chunks into the bread mixture. Spread evenly in the baking dish and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the sauce: Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, 5 to 6 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 1 cup orange juice concentrate, 3/4 cup bourbon and the salt. Cook until thick, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer until the sauce coats a spoon, about 10 more minutes. Slice the bread pudding and drizzle with the sauce.
Photograph by Kana Okada