Oven-Style Barbequed Chicken
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds mixed chicken parts- legs, thighs, and breast (skin-on), about 8 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup QUICK BARBEQUE SAUCE, recipe follows
- QUICK BARBEQUE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, like soy, corn or peanut
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole, peeled tomatoes (with puree), pureed
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl, mix together the oil, chili powder, paprika, sage, mustard, ginger, and cayenne until a paste is formed.
Add the chicken pieces and rub the spice paste all over, including under the skin. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Preheat the broiler. Place a rack about 9 inches from the broiler element. Place the chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet or broiler pan. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper and arrange skin-side down. Broil for 10 minutes, turning the pan occasionally so the meat cooks evenly. Remove the pan from the oven and baste the meat all over with the sauce, turn the chicken pieces skin side-up and broil, basting and turning the pan occasionally, until cooked through and crispy and the sauce has browned lightly, about 10 minutes more. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.QUICK BARBEQUE SAUCE
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute more.
Add the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until deep red in color and reduced to about 4 cups, about 25 minutes. Season with pepper. Use now, or store, covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Yield: about 4 cups
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Thank you! your flag was submitted.