Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2011 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- Total Time:
- 3 hr 10 min
- 40 min
- 2 hr 30 min
- 2 pounds oxtail pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 20 juniper berries, crushed
- 20 allspice berries
- 1 quart beef stock
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into large dice, or 1 1/2 pounds whole small red potatoes
- 1 (7 to 7 1/2-ounce) celery root (celeriac), cut into large dice
1. Sprinkle the oxtails with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown the oxtails on both sides, 4 minutes each side. Remove the oxtails to a plate and reserve.
2. Cook the onions and garlic in the Dutch oven for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, juniper, and allspice and cook 2 minutes more. Put the oxtails back into the pan and add the stock and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, occasionally skimming the fat from the surface.
3. Add the potatoes and celery root and continue to cook until the meat is tender, another 1 1/2 hours. Skim the fat from the surface.