A shandy is the classic combo of beer and lemonade. Spicy ginger syrup and tart lemon juice round out the hoppy ale, with an extra burst of bubbles from club soda. Add leftover ginger syrup to a bowl of berries for a simple dessert.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- One 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces chilled club soda
- One 12-ounce bottle chilled India pale ale, such as Brooklyn East
- 2 lemon slices, for garnish
Heat the sugar, ginger and 1/2 cup water in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and stir to melt the sugar. Remove from the heat and allow to steep and cool for 15 minutes, then strain (should make about 3/4 cup). Reserve the unused ginger syrup for another use.
Mix 1/4 cup of the syrup with the lemon juice in a large liquid measuring cup. Add the club soda. Divide between two chilled beer chalices. Pour half of the beer into each glass. Garnish each with a lemon slice and serve.
Copyright 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved