Pan-Seared Cod with Cabbage
- 3 pieces bacon, cut into 1/4-inch thin strips
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced (about 5 cups, 13 1/2 ounces)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vermouth
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped (3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves)
- Pinch allspice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (6 to 7 ounce) cod or hake fillet
Heat a large skillet, over medium-low heat, cook the bacon in the olive oil until lightly crisp and most of the bacon fat renders, about 5 minutes. Drain all but a thin layer of the reserved fat from the pan, and reserve for cooking the fish. Add the onion to the pan, and cook, stirring until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cabbage and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the water, mustard, vermouth, thyme, and allspice, and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook until soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes more. (This can be done up to 1 hour ahead and reheated, covered.)
Pat the fish dry. Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the reserved fat to the pan, and season the fish with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste. Lay the fish, skin-side up in the pan, and cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Turn the fish over and continue to cook over medium to medium-high heat until the fish is opaque but not flaking, about 4 minutes more.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Cod Croquettes, Sweet Red Pepper Gravy, and Mashed Potatoes with Spinach, Curry-Topped Black Cod with Cumin-Scented Warm Savoy Slaw, Salt Cod, Amalfi Style (Bacala All'Amalfitana), Anchovy, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Veal Chop Recipes, Beef Wellington Recipes, Grilled Vegetable Recipes, Asparagus
Thank you! your flag was submitted.