Pan-Seared Halibut with Sopressata and Fennel
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens
From Food Network Kitchens
The Chopped Dinner Challenge this week was soppressata. We used the spiciness and saltiness of the cured ham to flavor the broth under a[ meaty halibut fillet. Chopped Basket Ingredient: soppressata]
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 ounces soppressata, cut in 1/4-inch dice (about 1 cup)
- 1 fennel bulb, halved, cored and very thinly sliced (about 2 cups), fronds reserved
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno juice
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped pickled jalapenos
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Four 6-ounce halibut fillets, skin-off
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large high-sided saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the soppressata and cook until lightly browned around the edges, 3 to 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the soppressata to a paper-towel-lined plate. Add the fennel to the pan and cook until just softened and lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the browned soppressata, tomatoes, jalapeno juice, pickled jalapenos and 2 cups water. Cook until the liquid has reduced by almost half and the tomatoes just start to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter. Turn off the heat and cover with a lid.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high to high heat. Sprinkle the halibut liberally with salt and pepper. When the oil just starts to smoke, gently place 2 of the fillets in the pan and sear until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a large plate. Sear the remaining fillets, using the remaining vegetable oil if needed.
To serve, divide the soppressata mixture and broth evenly among 4 shallow bowls. Top with the halibut, a drizzle of olive oil and garnish with the reserved fennel fronds. Serve with crusty bread if desired.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Steamed Halibut Fillets, Chinese Style, Seared Halibut with Sauteed Swiss Chard and Salsa Cruda, Grilled Halibut Steaks on a Bed of Arugula with Tomato Salad and Gremolata, Easy Main Dish, New York Strip Steak Recipes, Beef Wellington Recipes, Roasted Turkey Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Teriyaki Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.