Parisian Tuna Sandwiches
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 Italian rolls or other soft rolls, halved
- 1 medium bunch arugula or 2 cups spring salad mix
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup jarred artichoke hearts, well drained and sliced
- 2 6 -ounce cans oil-packed tuna
- 4 to 8 anchovy fillets, drained (optional)
- 1/2 cup nicoise or kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 4 medium radishes, thinly sliced
Place the eggs in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and cool in a bowl of cold water.
Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Whisk in the olive oil. Put the rolls cut-side up on a work surface and lightly drizzle with a quarter of the dressing. Place the arugula on the roll bottoms. Top with the sliced tomato, onion and artichokes. Season with salt and drizzle with another quarter of the dressing.
Drain the tuna, but leave lightly coated with oil. Toss the tuna in the remaining dressing, then divide among the sandwiches. Peel and thinly slice the hard-boiled eggs and layer the slices over the tuna. Top with the anchovy fillets, if desired, then the olives and radishes. Cover with the roll tops, pressing gently but firmly. Wrap the sandwiches in plastic wrap and place a skillet on top to weigh them down; set aside for at least 15 minutes so the bread absorbs the flavors.
Per serving: Calories 520; Fat 29 g (Sat. 5.3 g; Mono. 15.5 g; Poly. 6 g); Cholesterol 187 mg; Sodium 611 mg; Carbohydrate 30 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 34 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis