Pasta e Fagioli: Penne with Beans and Escarole
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 6 large sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 cups cooked borlotti beans
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper or 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (13.5 ounce) box whole wheat medium pasta shells
- 1 head escarole, washed and leaves finely shredded (about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Sun-dried tomato pesto, optional
Heat olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery, cook until vegetables are slightly softened, 5 minutes. Add 1 cup water, season with salt and pepper, cover, cook until tender,10 minutes.
Meanwhile, finely chop sage, thyme, and garlic together. Stir beans and chopped herbs mixture into vegetables
Cook pasta according to package directions, for 5 minutes. Add escarole, stir and cook, until shells are al dente, 1 to 2 minutes more. Drain.
Add pasta and escarole to the vegetables. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with grated cheese and a dollup of tomato pesto if desired.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.