- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 2 bunches broccolini, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 large egg
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated ricotta salata or parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs, adding the broccolini during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and broccolini.
Meanwhile, roll the sausage meat into about 20 small meatballs. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Pour off any drippings from the skillet, then add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring, 1 minute. Add the pasta, broccolini and meatballs. Whisk the egg with the reserved cooking water in a small bowl, then add to the skillet and stir until the sauce thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide the pasta among bowls. Sprinkle with the cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
Per serving: Calories 613; Fat 25 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 102 mg; Sodium 749 mg; Carbohydrate 69 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 29 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani