- Kosher salt
- 10 ounces gemelli or cavatelli pasta
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced Black Forest ham, cut into strips
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 fresh mint leaves, torn
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Squeeze any excess moisture from the zucchini, then add to the skillet. Add the pasta, ham and the reserved cooking water and toss until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and fold in the cheese, parsley and mint.
Per serving: Calories 447; Fat 16 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 22 mg; Sodium 578 mg; Carbohydrate 60 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 17 g
Photographs by Antonis Achilleos