- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups smooth peanut butter
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- One 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes (with liquid), roughly chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons roughly chopped unsalted, dry roasted peanuts
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook covered, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the peanut butter, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-high heat, toast the peanuts, stirring occasionally, for about 1 1/2 minutes. Set aside.
When ready to serve, stir in the lime juice, hot sauce, and salt. Season with pepper to taste. Divide among warm soup bowls, garnish with some of the toasted peanuts and scallion. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.