- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups smooth peanut butter
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- One 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes (with liquid), roughly chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons roughly chopped unsalted, dry roasted peanuts
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced on the diagonal
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook covered, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the peanut butter, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-high heat, toast the peanuts, stirring occasionally, for about 1 1/2 minutes. Set aside.
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved