Pepperoni, Pasta, and Vegetable Casserole
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack (about 7 ounces)
- 1 (16-ounce) box frozen broccoli, or 1 pound fresh broccoli, lightly cooked
- 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen peas
- 8 ounces pepperoni, diced
Preheat the broiler.
Bring a large pot of cold water to a boil over high heat and salt it generously. Add the spaghetti and boil, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or deep stove-top casserole dish over medium heat. Scatter the flour over the butter and mix with a wooden spoon into a paste. Continue stirring in a figure "8", making sure to get into the corners of the pan, until the paste puffs slightly and lightens in color, about 1 minute. Off the heat gradually whisk the milk into the paste. Return to medium-high heat and whisk until thickened, then simmer, stirring occasionally until the sauce has the consistency of heavy cream, about 8 to 10 minutes. Whisk in the cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and nutmeg. Season with salt, pepper.
Top casserole with the remaining 1 cup cheese; transfer to the broiler, and cook casserole until brown and bubbly. Cool slightly and serve.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.