These Cuban-inspired sliders are a natural with our merlot. Briny olives, garlicky mayo, and a slight hit of tomato acidity sharpen the wine's fruit; caramelized onions and raisins play to the wine's toasty side.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 ounces ground beef
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/4 cup raisins, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
- 8 potato rolls
- Pickled jalapenos, for serving
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Chop the remaining 2 cloves garlic, add to the onions, and cook 2 minutes more. Let cool slightly.
3. Meanwhile, mix the ground beef, 1 teaspoon salt, tomato sauce, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves in a large bowl. Stir in the raisins, green olives, and almonds, then the onions and garlic; mix gently until just incorporated.
4. Wipe out the skillet, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and set over medium-high heat. Divide the meat into 8 equal portions. Brown each side, about 4 minutes for medium. Serve on the potato rolls with a smear of the garlic mayonnaise and top with pickled jalapenos.
Nutrition Information (per serving): *includes pickled jalapenos
Total Fat: 44 grams
Saturated Fat: 10 grams
Total Carbohydrates: 93 grams
Protein: 33 grams
Sodium: 1391 milligrams
Cholesterol: 63 milligrams
Fiber: 6 grams