- 1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups garlic cloves (halved if large)
- 2 carrots, cut into sticks
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and cut into wedges (fronds reserved)
- 6 radishes, quartered
- 4 garlic scapes (stalks), trimmed (optional)
Bring the vinegar, wine, sugar, spices, bay leaf and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add the garlic cloves and simmer 5 minutes.
Pack the carrots, fennel wedges and fronds, radishes and garlic scapes, if using, in a quart-size jar.
Pour the hot liquid over the vegetables. Let cool; cover and refrigerate at least overnight (preferably 48 hours).
Photograph by Con Poulos