- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage (preferably without fennel seeds), casings removed
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni, halved (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, undisturbed, until browned on one side, then stir and continue cooking until browned on the other side, about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the pepperoni and oregano and cook until the pepperoni is crisp around the edges, about 1 minute. Stir in the pizza sauce and reserved mushrooms. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 more minutes.
Warm the tortillas as the label directs. Divide the sausage mixture among the tortillas. Top with the mozzarella, ricotta and basil.
Photograph by Charles Masters