- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or a combination of Pecorino and Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced chives or finely chopped basil
In a medium saucepan, over medium-low heat, the heat the oil with the garlic, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the broth and milk, and bring to a boil over high heat. While whisking constantly, slowly pour the cornmeal into the hot liquid. Stir in the salt. Lower the heat to cook the mixture at a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cornmeal is creamy and not all grainy, about 30 minutes. Remove the polenta from the heat and stir the cheese, butter, and the herbs. Serve.
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.