For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped cornichons, plus 2 tablespoons of the pickling liquid
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Salad:
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup instant flour (such as Wondra)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 romaine hearts, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- Freshly ground pepper
Prepare the salad: Halve the shrimp lengthwise. Whisk the egg and 2 tablespoons water in a medium bowl. In another bowl, whisk the flour, Cajun seasoning and 2 teaspoons salt.
Heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a deep skillet until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees. (A piece of shrimp will sizzle on contact.) Dip each shrimp in the egg mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture. Working in batches, fry the shrimp until crisp and golden, turning once, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper-towel-lined plate; season with salt.
Toss the romaine, tomato, onion and bell pepper with the dressing in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Divide the salad among plates and scatter the shrimp on top.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Per serving: Calories 319; Fat 21 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 139 mg; Sodium 593 mg; Carbohydrate 16 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 18 g